Monday, May 12, 2014

"Mexi Monday" Taco Salad


"Mexi Monday" Taco Salad




Being that it is a Monday I was definitely in the mood for something quick and simple, yet delicious. I often throw together ingredients for a taco salad usually on the reg. Usually I just grab what ever is around and add my favorite spices. I LOVE spicy so if the below concoction is too much HEAT just hold off of the spices. :)

Ingredients:
(for "Taco Filling")
1 cup of cooked Barley
1 TB of extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. of cumin
1 tsp. of garlic powder
1 tsp. of chili powder
Pinch of cayenne
salt to taste
fresh ground pepper to taste

(added toppings)
fresh baby spinach
1 can (14 oz.) of black beans (rinsed and drained)
tortilla chips
jalapenos
red onion (chopped)
Jack's Medium Gourmet salsa
tomato (chopped)


Simple Directions:
Cook Barley and then add spices and a little olive oil. Begin to build salad. I always make mine too large once I've piled everything on top; so yeah. I begin with a layer of crushed torillas and then pile on the spinach and barley and beans. I then finish with the tiny toppings and then a generous heap of salsa. Yum! This is definitely one of my favorite salads and my go-to dinner when trying to throw something together.

Other substitutes:
I have used chickpeas cooked in spices, and Go-Veggie shredded Cheddar or Pepper Jack "cheese". I also almost always add diced avocado and black olives if I have them on hand. Some fresh lime juice and ground pepper to top is always an extra bit of flavor that I love to add too.

I enjoyed this with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale BUT do believe a margarita would have been a little more fitting. Oh well! There's always next time... which will probably be next week since I love this salad THAT much!

Enjoy!
~Crago




2 comments: