Saturday, July 26, 2014

Cookbook Inspiration

Ok, so I love cookbooks. There I said it. I know it's a little "old school" but there is something so exciting about turning the pages to finding numerous fantastic recipes and photos.


Don't get me wrong I still use websites and Pinterest on my iPad. (Sidenote: if you don't have the iPad kitchen dock.. You NEED this ASAP. My sis gave me this for a Christmas present a few years back and it's amazing.) 


So yes, as I was saying I have several favorite cookbooks that have been my staples for sometime now and these have given me inspiration and ideas for the recipes I have created.


Here are my top 3 faves when it comes to cookbooks. Basically if you're ever in Barnes and Noble (and tired of reading Fifty Shades...yep don't deny it...ok, or reading whatever!) and looking for some cooking literature check these out. You won't be disappointed!




Why this is the bomb.com:
Well first of all I love some Gwyneth P. I know she has some haters but c'mon there are just too many reasons you should love her instead. Now, I will admit when her and Chris Martin (Coldplay! Ahh) broke up a little part of me died inside. But then I just whipped up a batch of her vegan blueberry muffins (from her first cookbook.. Will get to that in a min.) and gobbled up my feelings. There. Problem solved.

Now, back to Gwynnie and her fab. cookbook. Despite what the haters say, her elimination diet isn't that insane. She explains the reasoning behind trying this diet, and her recipes that go along with it are vegan and insanely healthy. They are also delicious! Basically she went on this diet to gain more energy and to feel better. You won't believe how amazing you will feel after cutting the cheese! (Hahah sorry had to....let's try that again) Ok, you won't believe how amazing you will feel after cutting out dairy in your daily diet. How's that? Sorry my professionalism is lacking today. (Squirrel!! Back on topic...)

Ok, so anyways, this cookbook is full of tons of recipes! Tons!! Lots of the recipes in this cookbook are very vegetarian and vegan friendly. She has great juicing ideas and smoothie concoctions. The pictures are top-notch and you can tell Gwyneth P. and cook Julia Turshen (who co-wrote) know what they're doing. 
One last thing too.. I forgot to mention that Gwyneth has a cookbook that came out before this one. It's called "My Father's Daughter" and is a collection of her family traditional recipes and delicious home cooked meals. Back when I ate turkey and chicken I made her bolognase often using turkey meatballs and it was to die!!! This cookbook is great and another favorite just not as vegetarian and vegan friendly. Definitely still check it out! You won't be disappointed there either..

My Favorite Recipes from "It's All Good":
Mexican Chopped Salad with Green Goddess Dressing (inspiration for mine)
Beet salad
Roasted cauliflower and root veggies
Roasted leeks
Lentil salad
The Best Green Juice
Beet, Carrot, Apple, Ginger Juice
Cucumber Basil Lime Juice (inspiration for what I've don't before)
Cleo's Afternoon Shake
Pumpkin Pie Shake
Bummer Bars
Brownie Recipe 
Banana Ice cream (inspiration) 

Other Great Perks:
This cookbook is really great too because it has a section that tells about all of the staple products she has in her kitchen and categorizes them so it's easy to see what you might want to buy at the grocery. 
At the back of the book she has included weekly menus for all situations (body builder week, detox week, family-friendly week, vegan week etc.) What these menu's do is map out a Monday through Sunday plan telling you ideas for meals to make for breakfast-dinner. I thought this was awesome and a great perk for having this particular cookbook! 



Why this cookbook is the bomb.com: 
Well first of all, I have not had this cookbook for very long and can I just say it has become a regular in my kitchen. It is very rarely that I don't pull it out looking for recipe inspiration. Angela Liddon is a genius and if you don't follow her on Instagram (@ohsheglows and her personal account @theglospot) then you must jump on that ASAP! She posts great other recipes and pictures that are awesome. Of course all of this (the cookbook, Instagram etc.) goes back to what started it all which is her blog "Oh She Glows". I had not been very familiar with her blog before the cookbook (yeah, I know...SAD). So when a friend of mine mentioned her to me, knowing that this was all right up my alley, I was in love instantaneously. Liddon's recipes are all vegan and all made from whole natural ingredients. Pretty perfect. Also most of her desserts are gluten-free and lack refined sugars. Can this get any better?? Probably, because the woman is a genius. 

Here are my favorite recipes from "Oh She Glows":
Overnight Oats (inspiration)
Sweet potato and black bean enchiladas 
Our Favorite Veggie Burger
Lentil-Walnut Loaf
Mushroom Gravy
Crispy Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Other Great Perks:
This cookbook has a pantry section where she too tells about her grocery staples and must-haves. 
Also in the back there is a basic cooking chart that tells the appropriate cooking times and measurements for cooking your basics including quinoa, brown rice, etc. Finally another great perk to this cookbook is the author's innovative nature. By this I mean, at the end of every recipe she tells you how you could make that particular recipe in a different way depending on diet or taste. So the recipe you want to try isn't gluten-free? No worries! Liddon has got you covered. The recipe you're trying has grains and that's a problem? Don't fret! Again she will let you know how to make every recipe in several different ways. Basically, Angela Liddon shows everyone who reads her cookbook that there is never a "no" when cooking vegan and that all of her recipes are possible for every person regardless of your personal palette or diet. Oh did I mention her recipes are delicious?! Yeah, probably did... but seriously... Amazing... 



Why this cookbook is the bomb.com:
This cookbook is a true gem probably because first of all, it caters to all natural living and cooking. Swanson's focus is using all natural ingredients and fresh grown produce. Now this cookbook is not solely vegan yet the recipes are however easy to adapt and make vegan. What I love about this too is the ideas for these recipes are very uncommon and this is what makes this cookbook very different from others out there. 

Finally, ok, so the real reason I bought this cookbook? It was at Anthropologie. Let's face it.... I am an Anthro junkie all the way and if I could (without going into insane debt) I would make my entire house out of Anthro finds  (and the clothes...the clothes!!... I mean well that's a given...) I would. So long story (a little) shorter I found this beauty and after flipping through the pictures I had to have it even if it meant I would never cook from it and just stare at all of the food gorgeousness. This book would make a gorg. coffee table book. Of course jump forward a few years and I actually opened that bad boy up and have cooked from it ever since and love it! 

My favorite Recipes from "Super Natural Everyday":
Multi-Grain Pancakes
Baked Oatmeal
Oatcakes
White beans and cabbage
Kale salad
Quinoa patties
Roasted chickpeas (inspiration!)
Wild rice casserole 

Other Great Perks:
Well, the photos. Again, they are gorgeous and I like that she doesn't make her photos solely focused on the food but yet on the source. What I mean by that is she shows pictures from her travelings and where all of her natural ingredients came from. 
Before every section of the book, Swanson gives a little intro about her inspiration before the recipes to come. It really helps make a connection with her readers and I appreciate her taking the time to do that. 

So there you have it! The three amigos of my kitchen. I love these cookbooks (of course.. or I wouldn't have written all of this) and hope you will check them out soon! Go get some cooking inspiration!  Let me know what you think!

Happy reading...
~Crago 







No comments:

Post a Comment