Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Breakfast Bound in Asheville

When I was in Asheville, as you know, I did some dining out. OK. That's an understatement. I tried several new places and pretty much ate everything. EVERYTHING. My gosh I'm still working it off. It's ok though because every bite was well worth it. So, I really love breakfast and brunch and man does Asheville have some fantastic breakfast spots! Here's two of my faves.

First off, is a new spot that I've been wanting to try up until now (but never got around to going to).
This would have to be Sunny Point Cafe


I've heard great things about Sunny Point but wanted to see what all of the fuss was about for myself. Man did it live up to everything (and then some)! 

So why is this place great? Well first of all, the atmosphere is too perfect. Sunny Point is located in West Asheville and like most Asheville establishments it is a very chill place with a casual and inviting demeanor. 

When we first arrived there was a 45 minute wait at 11:00. No fear! It was a gorgeous day and the waiting area outside was a nice shaded area with benches and beautiful scenery. The best part about the waiting time was the coffee cart. Sunny Point made waiting for a table a pleasant experience by offering complimentary coffee. Very nice touch.

Once seated we sipped mimosas (of course) and ordered our breakfast brunch items.


 I ordered the breakfast salad which immediately stood out to me. Best part? The tofu bacon! My goodness it was devine. Super flavorful and a little blackened, this tofu bacon made the salad. My salad also had seasoned potatoes and a sweet Maple-Dijon vinaigrette. I also appreciated the waitress because she subbed my egg (that was supposed to come on my salad) for sliced avocado. Perfect idea and made me feel assured that I had ordered a great menu item. 


Laura ordered an omelette. Honestly I am not sure what was in it. I'm sure it was the furthest thing from being vegetarian (and that's alright). Somebody's got to eat the meat and cheesy goodness. Glad my sis is there to take one for the team. She said it was delicious and very filling. 

Another perk? The biscuits that came with our meal! We enjoyed biscuits with their famous blackberry jam. So good! Every bite was perfection and left us happy and ready to take on the rest of our day in Asheville. 



Our next favorite stop for breakfast was (no other than) Biscuit Head. 


Man oh man do I love Biscuit Head. This restaurant is one of the first restaurants my sis took me to when visiting Asheville and I have made her take me back again and again (basically every time I come to visit). 

What's so great about Biscuit Head? Well the fact that their biscuits are the size of a cat's head (meow) is pretty rad. 


I mean, you know how I feel about cats. They even have hilarious cat photos on the waiting signs you take to your table. It's pretty perfect even if you don't like cats (but I don't know people like that....). :)

Besides the point, the best part about Biscuit Head is the food. Imagine that! When we went to order I got my all time favorite. Let me just tell you the gravy I ordered is spoon worthy. Oh yes. I could down this stuff from a bowl with just a spoon. No worries though, I still enjoyed a biscuit with my gravy. I mean, we are at BISCUIT Head where the biscuits are "da bomb". So you may be asking what kind of gravy are you talking about? Get on with it! 


Ok this gravy is the sweet potato coconut gravy. It is a little sweet and savory with a hint of curry. Delicious! Even Laura got it in her gravy flight (will get to that in a minute).

I also added their homemade seitan. It is so crunchy and fantastic you wouldn't even know you aren't eating meat. (Well ok meat eaters, you prob would... But you get my drift.) It's legit!! 


Laura got the infamous gravy flight which allowed her to order three different gravies. She went with the fried chicken gravy, sweet potato coconut, and espresso red eye gravy. Her's was amazing and she loved every bite. We basically stuffed our faces; and I'm ok with that.

Now the best part about Biscuit Head's deliciousness is that it is spread across two different locations in Asheville. That means two opportunities to go grab some fantastic biscuits. We actually tried the newest location which is in the Biltmore area. The food was fantastic still and the wait wasn't as bad. I do like the atmosphere at the West Asheville location better but honestly you're going for the food, so there ya go. 

Alrighty so there's my favorite breakfast spots in Asheville! Go check 'em out! You won't be disappointed...

My final next post on my dining adventures in Asheville is all about all things sweet.... Get ready it will be epic! 

~Crago 


No comments:

Post a Comment