Sunday, October 12, 2014

Miss Piggy's Tofu Bacon

I used to love bacon. I also like my bacon the crispier the better. Ever since going to the dark side of vegetarianistic ways I haven't really missed bacon too much (ok, possibly lying..). 



I decided to recreate the flavors of savory crisp bacon strips except while using tofu. The taste in these "bacon" strips came out pretty on point and the texture wasn't bad either (as stated before, I'm a texture freak and always need my tofu nice and crispy (the less jiggle the better).

I simply prepared my tofu as follows....

Ingredients:
1 block of extra firm tofu
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp. chipotle adobe seasoning 
3 tbsp. soy sauce 
2 tbsp. water 
1 tbsp. molasses + 1 tbsp. agave
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in bowl and marinate tofu (slices in thin strips) for about 15-20 minutes or however long.


 I never prepare for long marination so mine were literally dunked and then popped in the oven. In a small glass dish bake tofu strips in marinating sauce for about 15-20 minutes covered in foil at 400 degrees. 


Once out of oven fry these suckers up in some vegan butter and add extra salt, pepper, and chipotle seasoning. 


That's it! I served my Miss Piggy Tofu Bacon or "fakin" with a side of savory breakfast quinoa and topped off with a drizzle of a homemade honey mustard Dijon dressing that simply consists of Dijon, agave, red wine vinegar, s&p. 


I'm foreseeing a vegan BLT in my very near future. 
Glad I could share this savory vegan breakfast idea with y'all! Hope it becomes a staple in your vegan kitchens as I know it will in mine. 

All of the Miss Piggies can rest easy another day....

For now, Brunch is served

Until next time, 
~Crago 


No comments:

Post a Comment