Sunday, December 28, 2014

Simply Spoonbread

A few weeks ago, my grandfather Dick Crago passed away. This was my father's father, and he is who my father is a spitting image of and the person I only hope to aspire to be like one day.


No one's sense of humor or jokes could stand a chance when up next to my grandpa's. 


Saying he was a true conversationalist is being humble. I've never met someone who could carry a conversation with anyone, (anyone!), like he could. 

The difference though, would be that my grandpa cared about the people he kept company with (family and non family alike), and when he asked the questions he did, he truly wanted to know the answers. 

He was intrigued and wanted to know others. 
 

So many of my memories from my childhood until now have included my grandpa. 





Another thing about my grandpa is he loved his family and family gatherings. 


Grandpa loved most meals especially favoring those that had a side of spoon bread.

Now what exactly is spoonbread? 

honestly couldn't tell you (before looking up the details just recently when trying to recreate the dish).

 I guess before now I have seen spoonbread as this runny, fluffy, buttery concoction that rivals with mashed potatoes (not really but you get my drift).

Could this be "the" epic southern dish? Well being that I'm half a "northerner" (I'll only admit this once...) due to my dad's New York/Ohio roots, this staple Crago Family favorite is just as delicious amongst the "y'all's" and "you guys" of crowds alike. 

Ever since grandpa's recent passing, I tried to recreate the dish for our Christmas meal. Dad loves the stuff just as much as his dad did and I knew this would be just the thing to add to the perfect meal. 

I found what I believed to be the coveted recipe and took it for a spin ending with a pop in the oven set at 375. 

Boy was I wrong with my first attempt. 

The dish was way too thick and looked like a giant scrambled egg with burnt edges. (Sorry no pictures... I think it fell into the trash can too quickly to document the epic fail this became). 
Not really what I was going for to say the least...

I gave spoonbread another whirl and here's what I came up with..

2 cups milk
1 cup water 
2 cups cornmeal
1/2 tsp. baking powder 
2 tbsp. butter
2 eggs
Salt to taste

First bring water and milk to a boil. Add cornmeal and simmer for about 5 minutes. 
Beat eggs and add remaining ingredients to cornmeal mixture. Pour mixture to greased pan and put in oven at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes until golden brown. About mid way I stirred the mixture to keep it more at the desired consistency. 
I'm not saying this is the best recipe, I am new at the "spoonbread" forte of recipes. 

Oh well, practice does make perfect. 

I know that grandpa is looking down from heaven munching on a stale marshmallow Peep (fresh Peeps are overrated) and enjoying of course, a bowl of warm, buttery spoonbread. 

I hope you enjoy these memories with a side of simple spoonbread. Of course don't hold back on all of the buttery goodness. Oh, and as Grandpa would have it, with a side of maple syrup possibly too. Why not?

Love ya grandpa,
~Your granddaughter 



I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.
Genesis 28:15






No comments:

Post a Comment