Sunday, January 18, 2015

Soups and Stews with a dash of Laziness

Well hello there

After taking a very long nap and avoiding my Bloggerita duties, I have (not one) but two (yes, two) recipes to share. 

Soups, Stews, and Chili's are all fair game during these frigid (got to watch out for that chilly NC air... Haha) months ahead. 


Before I get to all of THAT...
First let me introduce my newest obsession. (Ok obsession is being polite.)

She (as in my new Vitamix) is a total boss and AMAZING. We are true BFF in the kitchen. 


Now I've only broken in my Vitamix a few times (still no name... Victoria seems to have a ring to it? Or Victor....) (obviously I've been watching too much Y&R) 

Anywho, I think I officially broke my Vita in with this first soup I made. 


Recipe for Creamy Vegan Potato....


Ingredients:
1 bag of red skinned potatoes; diced and boiled or cooked however you cook your potatoes
1 c. Cashews; soaked overnight 
3-4 celery stalks; chopped 
1 onion (red or yellow; either will work)
2-3 carrots; peeled and diced
1 small bag frozen peas (or fresh.. I was just using what was on hand)
Handful of Kale (optional) 
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 c. Almond milk
1 carton vegetable broth or stock
1/2 c. Water 
1/2 tsp. thyme 
1/4 tsp. chili powder
Olive oil (a few tablespoons) 
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
First take garlic, chopped celery, onion, and carrot (it appears I actually shredded my carrot. Doesn't really matter...) and toss in a little olive oil and seasonings. Sautée for about 10 minutes until soft. 


Next take soaked cashews and cooked potatoes and almond milk and add to Vitamix or high speed blender. If you don't have a high speed blender (I feel ya. That was me a few weeks ago.) then just break up the blending into small increments. 




Mixture should be creamy and smooth but not too runny.

Next add broth to cooked vegetables in a large pot. Bring to a boil and add potato cashew mixture. Add peas. Simmer for about an additional 15 minutes or so. You can add some flour or corn starch to thicken it up some. 



Top your creamy vegan potato with some toasted sundried tomatoes (sending bacon vibes here!) and voila! Your winter is now complete. 

Now if you're in a Tex-Mex mood hold on, because here's another recipe that is sure to spice things up....


Recipe for Pineapple Black Bean Stew:


Ingredients: 
2 cans of black beans; rinsed and drained
1 c. Butternut squash; pre-cooked (I used the microwave... Go ahead and judge)
1 can of diced pineapple
1 red bell pepper; diced 
1 green bell pepper; diced 
1 red onion; diced
2 jalapeños; de-seeded (is that even a word?) and finely chopped
1 small can of diced green chili's 
1 tbsp. mince garlic 
1/2 c. Vegetable broth 
1 14 oz. Can of diced tomatoes with juice 
3/4 tsp. chipotle adobe seasoning 
1/2 tsp. cumin 
Salt and pepper to taste 

Directions: 
Sautée all veggies and garlic in olive oil and seasonings for about 10 minutes until soft. 



Add broth, tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 25 minutes until thickening up. Add pineapple near the end. Simmer for another 5 minutes or so and BOOM. Tex Mex/Vegan Stew Amazingness (word?) in one bowl just for you. 




And according to this picture I paired this stuff with some rice and ate in on a plate instead of a bowl.... So basically there is no wrong way to chow down on this "#stewgood" stew. 

There you have it. Two recipes, both warm enough to warm your mind, body, soul and taste-buds in just a few simple steps. 

Did I mention both recipes made enough to feed an army? I really need to find my own personal football team to feed....

Enjoy!
~Crago 

No comments:

Post a Comment