Thursday, May 15, 2014

5 Minute Mean Green Smoothie


5 minute Mean Green Smoothie



Meet the nicest tasting green smoothie you've ever tasted. This "mean green" is made with simple ingredients and is the perfect pick me up for breakfast, or a great snack. Did I mention it takes only 5 minutes to prepare? I have been wanting to explore green smoothies for some time now and sure am glad I finally did! Below is my fool proof step by step recipe for a perfect fast and easy green smoothie. 

Ingredients (for one smoothie):
1 cup of greens (part frozen kale/part fresh spinach)
1/2 to 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk (depending on desired consistency)
1 banana (fresh or frozen) 
1 cup of frozen pineapple (or any other frozen fruit; mango, strawberries, or blueberries) 
2 tbsp of ground flax seed

Directions:
First blend your coconut milk, greens and flax seed until smooth. Try and blend right away and not let your frozen kale defrost any because it will get mushy. Once you've blended your liquid add the chopped banana and blend. Finally add your frozen fruit of choice. Once everything is blended you're ready to serve! Pour into a glass or to-go mug of your choice and enjoy. 

Before this morning I had always done frozen kale and pineapple and then fresh banana and spinach. This morning I tried all frozen fruits (including banana). The frozen banana made for a thicker smoothie and was almost sweeter in taste. The only issue was it took much longer (more than my usual 5 minutes-EEEK!) to blend due to my poor little blender (bless its heart). If doing all frozen I would imagine it would be much easier with a high speed blender. Currently taking donations for a Vitamix starting ...now!

Cheers!
~Crago


No comments:

Post a Comment