Saturday, May 31, 2014

Perfect Breakfast Quinoa

On this beautiful Saturday morning I decided to make an all time favorite; Quinoa for breakfast.


Quinoa is one of those staple foods that can be served up for pretty much any meal, any time of day and still tastes amazing. So this time I grabbed a few key ingredients and threw together this Devine Breakfast Quiona which was the perfect start to my day. 
Here's how it all began.

First I cooked up 1 cup of Tri-Color Quiona after rinsing first in a small strainer. I cooked my Quiona in 2 cups of water and a dash of salt for about 13-15 minutes (watch for water absorption and then take off stove). Once cooked, I layered a paper towel on top of the uncovered pot and then put the lid back on holding the paper towel in place (this grabs the extra moisture and helps to leave you with a perfectly cooked, fluffy quinoa.) I left my paper towel on for 5 minutes and then took that and the lid off and fluffed the quinoa with a fork. 


Now you can use any quinoa you would like and I made enough to have some of my cooked Quiona stored in the fridge for later. Who knows, maybe I'll whip up another Quiona salad or use it in a dish for dinner later this week?

Here's the Ingredients for a one bowl serving of Breakfast Quiona:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of cooked Quiona 
3 tbsp of unsweetened coconut milk (more or less depending on desired consistency)
2 tbsp of pure maple syrup
1 tsp of cinnamon
1/4 tsp of nutmeg
1/4 cup of slivered almonds
1/4 cup of pecans; finely chopped


Directions:
In a small skillet, add cooked Quiona and coconut milk. Place nuts in pan as well (don't mix until they've been sitting for a few minutes and have gotten a little toasted). Cook on medium heat for approximately 2-3 minutes. Add spices and maple syrup. Mix up everything including the toasted nuts, and cook for 2 more minutes while stirring to prevent sticking.


Serve in a bowl with your choice of berries. I chose my absolute favorite "go-to" berry; the blueberry. I LOVE blueberries. It also doesn't hurt that they are a superfood and full of antioxidants. This dish is super easy, especially if you've already prepared the cooked Quiona ahead of time. I have also used toasted walnuts in the past and dried fruit. So the next time you think of quinoa, think breakfast! The options are endless...

Until next time,
~Crago

No comments:

Post a Comment