Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Mashed Cauliflower and Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy

Tonight on the menu was a hearty yet healthy dish that left me feeling satisfied without the guilt. This meal is simple and doesn't take much time at all to throw together.



Ingredients: 
(Mashed Cauliflower and Potatoes)
1 head of cauliflower 
3 large potatoes
2 tbsp of vegan butter 
1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp of almond milk 
Salt and pepper to taste

(Mushroom Gravy)
1 pack of Crimini mushrooms 
1 onion; chopped
1 tbsp of minced garlic
1 1/4 cup of vegetable broth
1 1/2 tsp of crushed dried rosemary 
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp of flour 
Salt and pepper to taste

(Sautéed Kale)
1 bunch of Kale
2 tbsp of extra virgin oil
1/4 cup of vegetable broth
1/2 tsp or crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper to taste



Directions: 
Boil peeled potatoes for 10 minutes. Add cauliflower and cook for another 15 minutes. Check potatoes and make sure they are soft. Drain water and add "butter" and "milk" in addition to salt and pepper. Using a mashed potato masher, mash cauliflower and potatoes into a smooth and fluffy mixture. Set mixture aside.

Sauté onion, garlic, and olive oil for approximately 5 minutes at medium high heat. Add mushrooms and cook for another 7-8 minutes while stirring around until soft. Add flour and stir until mixture is slightly coated. Add vegetable broth to mixture and stir until thickened. Bring mixture to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes while constantly stirring to prevent sticking.

I served these scrumptious mashed cauliflower and potatoes with sautéed kale and fresh green beans. When I prepared my kale I slightly chopped my greens and tossed them in the olive oil and seasonings in a small pot. While simmering I added my broth and cooked stirring a bit for about 10 minutes until slightly wilted but not mushy.

Once everything was ready of course I topped my mashed cauliflower and potatoes with this mushroom gravy that is... To. Die. I could eat this stuff by the spoonful. It is seriously that good! This dish could easily be worthy enough to serve at Thanksgiving, but why limit to just once a year? This one is definitely a keeper and I will be visiting this recipe again very soon! 

Enjoy!
~Crago 






No comments:

Post a Comment