Friday, August 8, 2014

Vegan Confections in the City

Alas, the final post about my culinary travels in the city of Asheville. I did save the best for last.
As you may have guessed from past recipes of mine, I have a tremendous sweet tooth.
I absolutely love anything and everything chocolate as well. While visiting my sister we checked out an ice cream spot in West Asheville and a chocolate hot spot in downtown Asheville.
Both places are legendary and have numerous rave reviews circulating about their sweet desserts. 

First place is The Hop:
The Hop is a legendary icecream hot spot in Asheville located at two different locations. We visited the West Asheville location. 


What makes this place different from other ice cream places? Well, the fact that their ice cream is homemade is one great factor. Also the flavor combinations are unlike anywhere else around. What I liked most was that there were 6 vegan options. 

I went for the vegan chocolate banana creme. 


Of course this stuff was to die....
SO good. I added a (non-vegan) waffle cone to the mix (so shoot me) and dove in. 
The ice cream was smooth, creamy and full of chocolate goodness with subtle hints of banana. You never would have guessed it's vegan. 



Laura got two different flavors of full on ice cream. She described hers as da bomb (my words not hers) and loved it. Sorry! Not sure about her flavors... I was too busy stuffing my face. 
We enjoyed our ice cream on the back patio while enjoying the gorgeous weather. 



Another night, after we had eaten what felt like a 5-course meal, Laura had a great idea! 
She mentioned going to my all time favorite Asheville hotspot; The French Broad Chocolate Lounge

The 10 minute walk helped make room for what was to come. I mean, obviously our only mission on this trip was to eat as much delicious food as possible. (You're welcome.)


Why do I love this place? Well, first off, did you not see that "chocolate" is in its name? So that's a a given reason. Also the homemade chocolates and desserts are top notch. If you're wondering what a chocolate lounge is; it's a place where people from all over come to sit, chill, drink, and eat chocolate and/or desserts of some sort while having a pretty groovy time.

When we arrived, the line was as usual, backed up to the door. This was no shock considering the last time we went to French Broad the line was out the door, down the sidewalk, and with a bouncer at the door letting people in "one in one out". Ha! A chocolate bouncer. Could it get any better? 
Well yes. As a matter of fact it can. 

Now on to what we ordered. Brace yourself because once hearing about our desserts, and seeing them, you will immediately be jumping in your car heading for Asheville so you can divulge in these sweet confections.

I ordered the Vegan Olive Oil infused Chocolate Cake


Yep. You heard me right. Infused with olive oil!
The cake was a huge slab and had the best texture and light yet luxurious frosting. There was a drizzle of raspberry that went with the cake and added to the rich flavor of this vegan dessert. I also enjoyed my vegan chocolate cake with a glass of Pinot. Perfection. 

Laura ordered her all time favorite; the Chocolate Creme Brûlée


It's a shame though. She wasn't crazy about it...

Haha. Yeah, I think that pic speaks for itself....the Chocolate Creme Brûlée is LEGIT

In the past I've bought The French Broad's homemade chocolate bars in sea salt dark chocolate and dark chocolate with hints of pomegranate. Say what??? Yep. Deliciousness you can take home with you. 

Well there you have it. All meals. All eaten in the fabulous city of Asheville. Good thing I got an annual pass to Biltmore because now I have more reasons to come visit Asheville and discover even more great restaurants! (Oh yeah, and visit Laura Crago too....hehe)

Hmmm where to next... Now that is the question.

Until next time,
~Crago 




No comments:

Post a Comment