Sunday, August 10, 2014

Mama's Peach Cobbler

Warning: this recipe is the full blown real deal. I'm talking butter, and a cup of sugar. No I'm not losing it.. It's all good. 

No worries I will be posting a recipe for a vegan-gluten-smooten free womp womp womp recipe before you can blink twice. (Hehe) 


Ok. So, oh my goodness is it good! I wanted to blog this cobbler not only because it turned out SO delish and I had to share, but also because mama was in the kitchen with me and that rarely happens. Since living with Paul and Ellen, (yes, still) I do all of the cooking (of course!) and so this was great having someone in the kitchen with me. I loved the time we spent together making this dessert. 


So when she wanted to join in and make a "real deal" peach cobbler" I was like "why not??"! I often do not eat a lot of dairy so this rarely does happen. I do however allow myself a non-vegan splurge. Whether it's a full blown buttercream cupcake or slice of cheesecake, sometimes you gotta go for it. I just don't go overboard. 

So what's so great about this cobbler? I love it because it has a great crust and I am definitely a "crust" gal. I also love that it was made from fresh peaches and minimal ingredients making it fresh and pretty simple. 

One of the key ingredients in Mom's cobbler is a....,good white wine. (We currently love Yellow Tail Sweet White Roo) (it's like a not quite as sweet Moscato) 

Obviously this was a part of the process not the recipe. (a cooking must!)(why not?)


So, here is mama's peach cobbler recipe that we made tonight: 

6 peaches
1 stick of butter; melted
1 c. Skim Milk
1 c. Self rising flour
1 c. Sugar
1 tsp. vanilla 

Yep. 6 simple ingredients. That's IT.

Directions:
First melt the butter and pour into bottom of greased glass rectangle dish. 


Mix milk, flour, sugar, and vanilla. 


Pour on top of butter. Do not stir. 


Now cut up peeled peaches and put in pan. Make sure not to stir! 


Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes and until top is crunchy. 


The cobbler will come out light and cake like with the juicy peaches on top. 


We enjoyed our servings with a nice dollop of vanilla icecream on top. Perfection!

Now if you are looking at these ingredients and thinking whatttt?!?!! Then no fear. Simply substitute the stick of butter for 1/2-3/4 cup of Earth Balance Vegan Butter and remaining coconut oil. Sub out your skim milk for almond milk. Also you could sub out half of the sugar and replace with 1/4 c. Agave or 1/4 c. Of pure maple syrup. If doing liquid sweeteners like so, bump up flour by 1/4 cup. 

Enjoy!! (I know my mama and I sure did).
~Crago 


No comments:

Post a Comment