Monday, September 15, 2014

Remembering my Papa

Before I get back to the recipes and "all things green", I wanted to stop and take a moment to reflect on the passing of a truly phenomenal man. One week ago today we found out my grandfather, known as "Papa", passed away at the age of 91. He lived a long full life of being an educator, playing golf, cracking jokes, and loving those in his life, relatives and non relatives alike. 



Papa grew up during the Great Depression and beat all odds (even his own personal goals) by eventually going to college for a teacher bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctorate. He skipped grades as a young student just by being unknowingly brilliant. Add serving in the Navy, becoming a teacher, principal, superintendent, and college president, and writing a published autobiography about his life to the mix. Greatest achievement? Possibly being a husband to my sweet Nanny for 64 years, father to to my mama and aunt Anna, and grandfather and great grandfather to myself, my sister and all of my cousins and great cousins. 

When learning of Papa's passing it was truly sad and I honestly didn't know how to accept this news being that this was the first time someone close (this close) to me had passed. He was a true inspiration for me when considering the teaching profession and for the hard work and dedication he showed with everything be pursued. 

I knew this would be hard for my mama and Nanny (Papa's wife and my grandmother) yet they all handled everything beautifully. 



Papa suffered from Dementia for almost 10 years and progressively his memory got worse. Two months ago we took him to the Veteran's Nursing Home in Kinston, NC so he could get the additional assistance he needed. He received excellent care during his time there and it was almost like The Lord was preparing him and us for what was yet to come as he brought Papa into His Kingdom. 

I prayed for peace for Papa and Nanny and my mama and aunt Anna. Papa leaves a legacy built upon the actions he showed in his love, guidance, and wisdom for all of us (not just those lucky enough to have known and loved him). 

So many people loved him and admired him! I only hope that I may lead a life as remembered as his.

This upcoming weekend it just so happens I will be walking in the Alzheimer's Walk to raise awareness. Visit here to donate. 

Now here's a few pics I was able to find...








Finally, a wonderful article was written for the Kinston newspaper commemorating everything Papa was remembered for. It was inspiring to read all of the kind and hilarious things written and said about him by former colleagues, employees, and friends.

The article can be read here.


I love you Papa and know you are watching down from Heaven. 


"I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you." Genesis 28:15

"But those who hope in The Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:28-31

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:18


Hold those who are dear to you close and cherish each day we have with each other.
Thanks for reading,
~Crago



*Picture Cred: www.theamericanjesus.net




3 comments:

  1. I loved every word of your blog! I could talk about Papa for days! I also love all the pictures! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Rebecca! Love to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad y'all enjoyed it! Thanks again. So glad I could write something special for Papa. Love y'all! :)

    ReplyDelete