Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

With the cooler temps outside I've been pulling out all of my favorite soup, stew, and vegetarian chili recipes. This one is one of my favorites and is inspired by my girl Gwyneth P. 


I initially decided to make this soup since I had tons of fresh tomatoes from the garden that I needed to use. I had plenty of time as well. 
When there's time and tomatoes on hand then you might as well roast them!


To roast your tomatoes, simply slice in thick slices or chunks and drizzle with olive oil and sea salt. 


Roast on a lined baking sheet at 275 degrees for 4 hours or until dried out and crispy. 



Remaining ingredients for the soup include....

8 full tomatoes sliced and roasted; coarsley chopped
1- 28 oz. can of whole plum tomatoes (with juices)
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. vegetable broth 
1 tbsp. minced garlic 
1 tbsp. fennel seed
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
Sea salt and pepper to taste 
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c. fresh basil; chopped 

Directions:
Cook fennel seed, and garlic in olive oil with crushed red, s&p for a few minutes. Pour tomatoes, water, and broth into pot and bring to a boil. Add a few basil leaves.


Simmer over medium heat for 45 minutes to one hour. Break up whole tomatoes with a spoon throughout process. Stir in roasted tomatoes and extra basil and serve. 


Curl up on the couch and enjoy a steamy bowl of this stuff. My fall fever is singing..... 


Mmmm....
~Crago 


No comments:

Post a Comment